8.18.2010

Recipe #58 - Baked Cheesy Grits

Have I mentioned that I love grits? Have I mentioned that I am the ONLY one in my house who does?

* 6 cups water
* 2 1/4 teaspoons salt
* 2 cups yellow grits
* 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
* 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
* 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
* 1/2 lb Cheddar, coarsely grated (2 cups)
* 3 large eggs
* 1 cup milk - I used soy

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F.

Bring water and 3/4 teaspoon salt to a boil in a 4-quart heavy pot.

Add grits in a slow stream, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and gently simmer, stirring frequently to avoid sticking, until very thick, about 30 minutes. (Use a long-handled spoon to avoid bubbling and popping hot grits.)

Add butter, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, pepper, garlic, and cheese, stirring until butter and cheese are melted. Lightly beat eggs and milk in a small bowl, then stir into grits until combined.

Pour into an ungreased 8-inch square baking dish (2 inches deep) and bake until set and lightly browned, about 1 hour. Serve immediately.



I added even MORE cheese thinking it would entice other folks to enjoy this, but, alas, I sat and snarfed a whole bunch of it solo.

No comments:

Post a Comment