* 1 cup yellow cornmeal
* 1 teaspoon agave nectar
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup well-shaken lowfat buttermilk
* 1 large egg
* 1/4 pound coarsely grated extra-sharp Cheddar (1 cup)
* 1/4 cup finely chopped scallion (white and pale green parts only)
* 1 to 2 tablespoons finely chopped drained pickled jalapeños
* 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, melted
Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 425°F. Heat cast iron pan in oven 10 minutes.
Whisk together cornmeal, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together buttermilk, agave and egg in another bowl, then add to cornmeal mixture along with Cheddar, scallion, jalapeños (to taste), and 2 tablespoons butter, stirring until just combined.
Remove pan from oven and pour in remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Bake until top is golden and a wooden pick or skewer comes out clean, about 15 to 20 minutes
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. With 5 bean chili? Sigh.